-->

Search This Blog

Andre Onana responds to AFCON critics after being advised he should face consequences

 Andre Onana responds to AFCON critics after being advised he should face consequences

Andre Onana has defended his choice to arrive late for the Africa Cup of Nations in Ivory Coast. Despite criticism, he decided to stay and play for Manchester United against Tottenham.

Onana has come out fighting against the backlash he received for not joining his Cameroon teammates in their preparations for AFCON. Instead, he chose to play in United's 2-2 draw against Tottenham in the Premier League on Sunday.

Although he still intended to arrive on time for Cameroon's tournament opener against Guinea on Monday, a grueling 16-hour journey caused him to be late. As a result, Manager Rigobert Song decided not to include him in the squad for Cameroon's 1-1 draw.

Onana was visibly upset by the decision and had to be calmed down by former Liverpool forward El Hadji Diouf. His cousin, Fabrice Ondoa, ended up playing in goal instead.

This is not the first time Onana has faced controversy with the national team. He previously retired from international duty after being sent home from the Qatar World Cup by Song following a disagreement.

Former Cameroon international Sebastien Bassong led the criticism against Onana's decision to prioritize club over country, but the United goalkeeper remains unfazed.

On Monday night, Onana addressed the criticism, stating, "I have a lot to say, but I will not say it here because we are in competition. Let me continue to be criticized; I am used to it. I do what is good for my country. It's like choosing between my father and my mother, but my country comes first; that's why I'm here. We are together. We are here to win [the tournament]."

Now, all eyes will be on Song's team selection for Cameroon.

Disqus Comments

Labels Max-Results No.